Loudoun Westward


I really enjoyed a beautiful fall weekend in Loudoun County. Friday night I played at Market Street coffee in Purcellville- one of the coziest coffee shops in the region. I love the acoustics. They got some softwood floors which just seem to bring all the sound to life. Its not a big shop, and usually there aren't a whole lot of people. But I have been a regular there for the past 6 years, and its always a pleasure. I have even composed a few tunes in that place- including "Coffee shop Country"-which I dedicate to struggling small time musicians everywhere. The drive around the area was spectacular. I stayed over night so I could get in an early morning show at The Middleburg Community Market in Middleburg- Loudoun County's horse country hot spot. The market was awe inspiring. The fall foliage was just near its peak, and I could see a backdrop of post rail fencing and the bull run mountains. I made a heaping amount of tips- because those Middleburg folks tip like there's no tomorrow. I also got delicious homemade chocolate chip cookies, chips, and salsa dip, and a splendid slice of red velvet cake.


After my show , I traveled west out near Winchester to see a famous road side attraction- Dinosaurland! Its really something else. Life size fiberglass replicas of dinosaurs, all laid out in an inviting format. They have a remarkable gift shop where they sell everything a tourist could use- including Confederate flags, dinosaur sweat shirts, coffee mugs, and Rebel Pride bumper stickers. I wanted to stop in Front Royal to get a bite to eat, but the town was a bit over crowded, so I decided to drive on Route 66-down through Warrenton and headed on home. The weather couldn't have been any more beautiful for this trip. On my way I went through some familiar towns that I remember including Upperville- where they have the famous Upperville horse show. That's where I fell off my horse one year! And then I went past Arcola, Lenah, Atoaka, Deleplane, and other towns that surrounded my life during  my teen aged years. I sure do love that area, but I'm glad I live in Richmond. Northern Virginia has become so Yankee-fied, at times it feels like another country. But its nice to go and visit there every once in a blue moon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Grand Finale Talent Show down at The Tin Pan...

Ned Hepburn: Meade Skelton’s ‘Hipsters Ruin Everything’ may be hipster anthem we’ve all been waiting for

Advice for Young Musicians