The Grand Finale Talent Show down at The Tin Pan...

There were many very talented people last night. Some were just amazing. I felt very inadequate. However, the audience seemed to really like my yodeling, and my "sweet tea". I got a request for "sweet tea" so I did that one, and then I followed up with "two step 'round the Christmas tree"- a Michael Martin Murphy tune, also done later by Suzy Bogguss. I got a good response from the table next to me afterwards. There were 11 performers for the night (all from each month that won for the monthly prize- January through November). After getting a wild response, I thought maybe I had a chance at being in the top three finalists. I kept hoping and praying that would happen. It didn't , though

An Oriental guy wowed everyone with his piano playing. He was very good- but he didn't sing. All he did was play the piano.  He did versions of Queen Bohemian Rhapsody and some other semi-Classical stuff like that. You know what folks? I can play Classical piano too! But apparently he was good enough to get a semi standing ovation. I knew he would be one of the 3 finalists. I just hoped maybe I could be one too. But at the end of the night, they called him, and two other bands. The bands were really good. But  I just don't find it fair. Bands competing against solo acts is not really an even playing field. Some judges prefer the bands over the solo acts. Judging 3 or 4 people or more, vs 1 solo artist. Its just too broad. And the Oriental guy was an instrumentalist. He won the 1,000$ last night.

I didn't care about the money. I didn't care about winning. I just wanted to be in the final 3. I wonder what the judges didn't see in me that that the audience seemed to enjoy. Was it that they don't like yodeling? They aren't into "Sweet Tea"? One of the judges was a drummer. He should have been disqualified for that right off the bat. Oh, well. Maybe its the Lord's way of telling me that I am not very good or something. I just was hoping I would make the final cut. Its so disappointing. I don't even have the consolation of winning November.  Yes, I did win the 100$ for that month, but I competed three times earlier and lost each time, beforehand. November was my 4th try. It was the biggest participation month with 13 people, but I still felt that I had to  pay-for-play. I don't feel like doing these things any time  again soon.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ned Hepburn: Meade Skelton’s ‘Hipsters Ruin Everything’ may be hipster anthem we’ve all been waiting for

Advice for Young Musicians