Watermelon Festival RVA

Every August we have the Watermelon Festival, and each year its packed with thousands of people, and each year its usually the hottest day of the summer . I have performed many years there , but I never seem to get any watermelon! This year it  was a very humid 97 degrees (with a heat index of 110), but luckily we had some shade. I played this year with the band, as we have performed there in the past few years as well. It was a good turn out. I remember the first time I played the Watermelon Festival. It was back in 2000, and I was 21 years old. I was right nervous, and had a lot of bathroom issues that day. I didn't want to be in large crowds, but I felt it would be neat to gain new fans by exposing myself! Back in those days, I had a little digital Yamaha keyboard that was basically like playing chop sticks. I didn't have as much experience performing. Even though I did some plays in high school.

I was nervous that first year , and I remember throwing up all that morning in anticipation. I remember helpful folks from the floating folk festival. Back in those days, the Watermelon Festival had a lot more music and a lot more stages. In recent years, only three music stages remain- with mostly bands. I myself, prefer to listen to solo artists. Because I'm mellow that way. I remember in 2003, I was nearly shot at the Watermelon Festival . I was singing near the corner of Colonial and Cary, and a nice crowd was gathering to listen to me play. I believe I was in the middle of "They Can't Keep Me Down", when all of a sudden my little audience ran away like chickens with their heads cut off! I didn't realize what I thought were "fireworks" were actually gun shots, until some told said to me "Meade, get down!". I hid behind my keyboard and with the last ring of a few shots, it was over. Within a few minutes the police were there. Apparently nobody was hurt. It was just a little friendly "neighborhood dispute"

In 2006, I played in front of the Nacho Mama's stage, and it was a ripe 101 degrees. I was sweating so profusely, someone just gave me two pitchers of water, and told me to pour it all over my body. Which I did. It was hot and sticky. I remember the girl who sang before me- she was hot and sticky too. I guess we are both hot and sticky together. Many plentiful memories of the Watermelon Festival. But I have to be honest,   I really don't like the heat and I don't like all those people packed in one place.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Grand Finale Talent Show down at The Tin Pan...

Ned Hepburn: Meade Skelton’s ‘Hipsters Ruin Everything’ may be hipster anthem we’ve all been waiting for

Advice for Young Musicians