Recognized By Fans !



I some times forget that I'm a public figure. I assume most no one has heard of me. But upon occasion I will be reminded by someone I encounter in public that has heard of me or my music, or both. that there is definitely more people that know of me, than not.  I usually air on the side of caution when being approached by strangers, but I am very appreciative of people who enjoy the music and I really think they are swell! Some times people do ask me if I'm that musician guy who wrote the "sweet tea song"... Or they mention hipsters.  I get approached by a lot of people from out of nowhere and usually when I am least expecting it.

The other night , a man next to me in the check out line of Kroger's,  was singing the words to "Sweet Tea". He then broke out into some song by the Georgia Satellites. I guess he didn't want me to know who he was ,but that he know who I was.  So, things like this do happen! He definitely had good taste in music. Some people online have asked me why I am not more famous, or why ,more  people haven't heard of me. I know exactly why. For one thing, I never sold my soul to Satan. But for another, I am kind of on the lazy side when it comes to my musicianship. Don't get me wrong, I  do work on my music and I do take time to improve. But I don't really work as hard as some others in my professional life, and most people who do become well known do so because of hard work. And then selling their soul. 

I have been directly greeted by strangers. One person said they saw my vlogs online when I did the accent meme. This was at the YMCA. Then someone else said "you're a well known singer, aren't you?" I get nervous put on the spot. Some people will say "you're that guy from youtube" or I have heard you sing. I really love your voice! ". One Christmas I was working retail in the music department at Barnes and Noble , and an older gentleman said 'Why , it's Meade Skelton. Why aren't you behind a microphone instead of a cash register? "


So this does happen. I have never been harassed (so far), but it does remind me that I'm more well known than I knew, and I always enjoyed having the anonymity of not being famous. I can't imagine how truly famous people handle this. It does make me happy, though. When I do the Cow Mascot at the Chick-Fil-A , the cow is a star. A little kid came up to me and sang "I love Jesus, just like you!" It warms my heart that I get the opportunity to have such a rich performance life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Grand Finale Talent Show down at The Tin Pan...

Ned Hepburn: Meade Skelton’s ‘Hipsters Ruin Everything’ may be hipster anthem we’ve all been waiting for

Advice for Young Musicians